Can I file my divorce paperwork myself?

Taking on legal matters without professional representation can be a viable option, but it’s generally discouraged, particularly in cases of contested divorce. When individuals choose to handle their legal proceedings in court without the assistance of a lawyer, it’s often referred to as “Pro Se” (pronounced pro-say). If you opt for this route, you must be thoroughly knowledgeable about the specific forms mandated by the court to ensure your case is processed correctly. Additionally, you’ll need to understand the proper procedures for serving the Defendant, accurately completing financial affidavits, calculating child support when applicable, and using precise language when submitting documents to the court to safeguard your rights.

It’s crucial to understand that the Clerk of Court cannot offer legal advice or guidance in these matters. Deciding to represent yourself increases the risk of your rights not being adequately protected, potential discrepancies in your paperwork, crucial issues being overlooked, and other potential pitfalls. While financial constraints may sometimes limit your ability to hire legal representation, if you find yourself in this situation, it’s advisable to seek a free consultation and educate yourself as much as possible about the court’s rules and regulations before proceeding further.

For all your family law needs, consider reaching out to Dreyer Law for professional assistance and guidance.

Please remember, this article is merely meant for guidance and information purposes. It is NOT intended as legal advice nor does it establish attorney/client relationship or privilege.